not sure why, but this feels right for my first post.
i just made one of these yesterday with blueberries and it was *chefs kiss*
recipe technically from martha stewart but yknow. i'm adjusting it slightly
- 1 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or measure it with your heart. that's what i do)
- 1/2 bar (4oz) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar (i also measure this with my heart)
- a solid amount of your fruit of choice! i've made it with strawberries (used approx half a container), blueberries (also half of a larger container, probably a whole small one), and apples (used like 1 large apple!)
- 1/4 cup of jelly in a flavor that compliments your fruit OR some of the fruit you're using, plus a little sugar and a little water/fruit juice. i'll explain later
making the crust:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. in a food processor/with a blender (or by hand, but it takes longer), blend the flour, butter, sugar, and salt from the crust ingredients section until moist crumbs form
3. put the dough into a tart pan of choice and squish it in really well until it's a solid crust! pro tip, it helps to use smth like a measuring cup to squish it in.
4. freeze the crust for 10-15 minutes, then poke holes all over it w a fork so it doesn't explode in the oven
5. bake for 25-30 minutes (or until golden!) let cool in pan while you make the filling + topping
making the filling:
1. mix cream cheese and sugar in a bowl until smooth. you can also add a little lemon juice if you like! this makes it kind of lemon-y.
2. spread over the tart crust once it cools
making the fruit topping:
1. cut your fruit to size and put it all over the tart in whatever artsy way you want.
2. IF USING JELLY: heat up the jelly in a small saucepan on medium low heat until its more liquidy. brush on top of the fruit on the tart to make it extra tasty! pop it in the fridge for a bit to let it set and you've got yourself a tart!
2. IF USING EXTRA FRUIT: put a little bit of your extra fruit in a small saucepan, along with a bit of sugar (this is a vibe check based amount of sugar) and a bit of water or fruit juice** (same deal). mash the fruit with a fork or a masher, then bring the pan of fruit, water/juice, and sugar to a boil. once it just starts to boil, take it back down to low heat and then let it simmer until it gets a bit thicker and less watery. then, brush the mixture on top of the fruit on the tart to make it extra tasty! pop it in the fridge with this method also --usually it takes a little longer to fully set with this method.
**if using a sugary fruit juice, maybe lower the amount of sugar so it's not sickly sweet
this recipe seems WAY more complicated than it is. the whole process is SUPER easy and anyone can rlly do it. i hope at least 1 person who reads this makes a tart!