Tennis elbow, scientifically called lateral epicondylitis, is a common condition that causes pain and tenderness on the outer side of the elbow. Despite its name, this condition can affect not just tennis players but anyone who engages in repetitive arm movements. When conservative treatments fail to alleviate the symptoms, orthopaedic surgery clinics offer an effective solution: tennis elbow surgery. In the below-mentioned paragraphs, we will explore how an orthopaedic surgery clinic can help patients find relief from this debilitating condition.
Understanding Tennis Elbow
1. The Anatomy of Tennis Elbow: Tennis elbow occurs when the tendons that join the outer bony prominence of the elbow to the forearm muscles become inflamed or damaged. This often results from repetitive gripping, wrist extension, or lifting activities.
2. Symptoms and Impact on Daily Life: Patients with tennis elbow experience pain, weakness, and limited range of motion in their affected arm. These symptoms can significantly impact daily activities, such as lifting objects, gripping tools, or even shaking hands.
Tennis Elbow Treatment at the Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic
1. Diagnosis and Evaluation: To diagnose and assess the severity of tennis elbow, orthopaedic surgeons at specialised clinics utilise a combination of physical examinations, medical history reviews, and imaging studies. This helps determine the best treatment, which may include surgery.
2. Surgical Treatment Options: Orthopaedic surgery clinics offer various surgical techniques for tennis elbow, depending on the individual patient's condition. These surgical techniques include:
Arthroscopic surgery: A minimally invasive operation in which the damaged tendons are repaired & visualised using a specialised equipment & tiny camera.
Open surgery: In this method, an incision is made by the surgeon to access and repair the damaged tendons.
3. Rehabilitation and Recovery: After surgery, patients undergo a comprehensive rehabilitation program, including physical therapy and exercises. The orthopaedic surgery clinic provides guidance and support throughout the recovery process, ensuring optimal healing and a gradual return to normal activities.
Tennis elbow surgery at an orthopaedic surgery clinic offers hope for individuals suffering from the debilitating symptoms of this condition. With accurate diagnosis, personalized surgical techniques, and comprehensive rehabilitation programs, patients can find lasting relief and regain their quality of life. If you are experiencing persistent elbow pain and conservative treatments have been unsuccessful, consider consulting with an orthopaedic surgery clinic to explore the possibility of tennis elbow surgery. Don't let tennis elbow hold you back; take the first step toward recovery today!